► TEMPORAL GUARDS
Welcome to the Temporal Guards forum. If you are a [TG] Member or a Friend of the Fleet please log-in.

If this is your first time to the site, please read Temporal Guards Fleet Information threads to learn more about us.

** Please ensure when you register to the site that your username matches your Star Trek Timelines in-game name.

BRINGING BALANCE TO THE TEMPORAL CRISIS

HomeFAQCalendarMemberlistRegisterLog in
WELCOME!!
STARBASE 207 IS HOME OF THE TEMPORAL GUARDS
[TG] Is A Top 50 Fleet
[TG] Starbase Is Level = 92
[HG2] Starbase Is Level = 28
[TG] Average Member Level = 55
Everyone Is Welcome On Our Discord Server >Click Here to Join<
Fleet Members Complete Their Dailies
To Join, Contact HaWkEyE | DBID 771784310759426
If You Are A Friend Of The Fleet or a New Member, Register To Gain Member's Rights
Share | 

GUIDE: Faction Events

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Koyote

[TG] Merits : 354

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Tactical Officer
Special Skill:
Main Weapon:

PostSubject: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Faction Events

Faction events are a competition where you complete shuttle missions to get event points. Successful missions get you full event points for the event level you are on, and failed missions get you 20% of the full point total. You also get the usual shuttle mission prizes for successful missions.

Faction Events – what’s what

Shuttles:  you start out with 2 shuttles, but you have the option to buy two more with dilithium.  So more shuttles is better, right?  If you have a strong crew of immortalized Purples and a few Golds, having more shuttles is a significant advantage. If you don’t have a strong crew, then sending out more shuttles at lower success rates may hurt you more than it helps you.

Shuttle boosts:  it is nearly impossible to do well in a faction event without shuttle boosts.  The best way to acquire them without spending money is by completing the Thursday cadet challenges.  I also purchase the 10x basic boost for 45000 credits quite often.  Save your shuttle boosts for events.  So, how do boosts work?  Time reduction reduces the time a shuttle is out on a mission. Double rewards gives you twice the rewards but makes your shuttle take three times as long to complete the mission.  The skill boosts are less straightforward and are probably the most important ones.  We will look at a 3* Diplomacy boost as an example.  It states "Increases Diplomacy skill by 250".  In game terms, it adds 250 diplomacy to every character on that shuttle mission.  As best as I can tell, this bonus is added before the crew bonus multiplier goes into effect.  That means, on event crew that healthy 250 bonus becomes a 500 or 750 bonus!

Best bonus/some bonus:  what does this mean?!?  Each event has event crew that give Best bonus, and other event crew / traits that give some bonus. In pure mechanical terms, best bonus provides a multiplier of 3 of that character’s stats (i.e. if your character has a 500 diplomacy, the shuttle mission will treat them as if they had a 1500) and some bonus provides a multiplier of 2 (500 diplomacy is treated as if it were 1000). Use bonus crew as much as possible. You will be rewarded with event crew during the event, and leveling them during the event to use later in the event is usually a good idea.

Event packs:  event packs go on sale prior to the event starting.  If you purchase a 10x pack, you are guaranteed an event crew (they always provide the best bonus).  If you have fully leveled event crew during the event, it gives you a substantial advantage. Most faction events give out three of the same Purple event character as rewards. Buying an event pack usually gives you the fourth event character to fuse for a 4* Purple.  

Crew sharing:  when the event begins, a squad leader can select a crew member to share with the rest of his squad.  If a squad member uses the shared crew, the squad leader gets bonus points.  It helps everyone out and all squads should be doing this.
Faction Event Scoring and Choosing Missions

To understand faction event scoring, you have to imagine a ladder (which is posted below).  When you start out, you are at the very bottom rung of the ladder.  For every successful mission, you get one point toward your success count. As your success count gets higher, you move up in event levels. The missions become longer, more difficult, and more rewarding up to the 4000-level, 3 hour missions. Now, here is the kicker. If you fail a mission, your count goes down by 1.5.  When you first start the event, your goal should be to try to get as high on the ladder as possible and time reduction boosts will be your friend here.  You can use the faction kickstart method described below at the beginning of the event to quickly get your count up into the more rewarding event levels.

After that, you need to select the best missions for your crew and your boost inventory. First step is to open every mission possible.  For 3 faction events, each faction typically has 6 missions (it used to be 10).  For one faction events, there are typically 20 missions.  With every mission open, you need to look at every one and find the 2, 3, or 4 that will give you the best success rate.  This is what you are looking for:

The number of crew required:  Lower crew requirements are better.  Shuttle missions use an average of the crew skills so your event crew get a lot more mileage when their uber stats get divided by a lower number. 3-crew missions are usually the best and often have two-skill requirements for each crew member (e.g., Command AND Security, rather than Command OR Security or just Command). 4-crew missions may be workable if you have the right crew and boosts for the mission. 5-crew missions are usually a waste and use up too much of your best crew, but may be workable if your crew has the right disciplines.

Required stats:  look for the missions that have skill requirements that match up with the event crew you have. If the featured event crew is MED, DIP, and ENG, look for missions that have MED & DIP or MED & ENG.

Overlapping stat requirements:  here's where it gets tricky.  Since shuttle boosts adds to everyone's skill, a mission requiring two diplomats is better than one requiring a diplomat and a command. NOTE: some players have found that you can boost for what the mission requires instead of what your crew actually has. Example: the mission requires ENG & MED / ENG & SCI / SCI & MED. No one on your crew for the mission has MED, but a MED boost will still work. See what boosts you have and see how they improve the mission’s success rate.

Play around with it, and when you find the missions that are best for you, only use those. You may need to change what missions you are doing from time to time as you level-up event crew, use up shuttle boosts for one skill, etc. Let all the other missions expire.  It seems like a waste, but you will probably get back enough merits to cover what you spent buying shuttle missions.

Lastly and most importantly, DON'T LET YOUR SHUTTLES SIT IDLE.  Launch them as often as you can.

Faction Event Count Strategy

You can probably do just fine in faction events by loading up the majority of your shuttle missions with best crew, then sending the fourth shuttle if it’s above 67% success rate. But I have had really good success with keeping track of my success count throughout the event.

Strategy when your success count is below 40 (up to 3500-level)

Your goal should be to get your count to 40 as quickly as you can without risking failed missions. You probably should not send a shuttle that has less than a 67% chance of success. Time-boost missions at the lower levels if your success rates are above 90% if you want, but make sure all your missions have a success rate above 67%.

Strategy when your success count is between 40 and 50 (4000-level)

Once you get your count to 40+, you are at the top level and need to stay there. My recommendation is to load the majority of your shuttles (3 if you have 4 shuttles, 2 if you have 3) with your best crew rather than spreading your crew out over all your shuttles. This gives you a better chance of keeping your count above 40 without sacrificing your scoring chances. You can still send out your last shuttle, even if its success rate is not very high. The 20% score you get for a failed mission still contributes. Boost every shuttle you can to improve the success rate. You may think an 80% doesn’t need boosting, but boost it anyways. This will help you build up your count to 50 or more.

Strategy when your success count is above 50

Now that you have a healthy buffer against the failed mission penalty, you can take more chances. Use 2x shuttle boosts overnight if you want. Pick a mission, fill it with your best crew, and time-boost it over and over again while running other missions with skill boosts. Time-boost all your shuttles for a round and see what happens.

-UPDATED AND MADE AWESOME BY DOUBLEWHITE

Tips and Tricks
-After you set your crew and apply a bonus... go through the crew again! More often than not you can substitute another crew member for a better overall percentage. - V'Ger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HaWkEyE

[TG] Merits : 1066

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: The Big Chair
Special Skill: Gambling
Main Weapon: Samurai Sword

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:51 pm

This is some great information. One thing I definitely have to start doing is opening all the missions and looking at the ones that will give me the best success rates. Due to lack of time and laziness I just click and go
Back to top Go down
View user profile
V'ger

[TG] Merits : 547

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Endless space...
Special Skill:
Main Weapon: Withering glare

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:04 am

I have been finding that after you set your crew and apply a bonus... go through the crew again! More often than not you can substitute another crew member for a better overall percentage. This one weird trick...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap'n Rok'ET Mahn

[TG] Merits : 428

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Duty Master
Special Skill: Flight
Main Weapon: Gatling gun

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:01 am

@Koyote wrote:
So more shuttles is better, right?  Not necessarily.  If you can't get a decent success rate on a shuttle (better than 60%), it will set you back and may not be worth sending out.
Never thought of it that way. Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaptainEmbers

[TG] Merits : 615

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Commodore of the Fleet
Special Skill: Diplomacy
Main Weapon: Bajoran Type 1 Hand Phaser

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:41 pm

I have learned so much so quickly. Thanks gang!

[TG] Merits : 362

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Engineering Officer
Special Skill:
Main Weapon:

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:21 am

Its important to note the even failing shuttle missons u get training holoprograms and since more the better so I am not that mad about it.

[TG] Merits : 236

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Engineering
Special Skill: Bartering / Acquisition
Main Weapon: Phaser rifle

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Great info. Doing this for the current event, usually I'd just do whatever comes up (but I'd skip really bad 5-crew ones). Thanks!

STARFLEET ID CARD

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 am

For the last event, I cherry-picked the 3-crew missions and it seemed to help a lot.

In the Timelines wiki for Faction Events, I found this helpful calculation:

"The skill difficulty, victory points scored, and time to completion is based upon your current number of successful and failed event shuttle missions in the below table. Each successful shuttle counts as one point, while each failed shuttle counts as -1.5."

SuccessfulPointsTime to
ShuttlesAwardedCompletion
01 minute
13 minutes
210 5 minutes
325 10 minutes
4-560 20 minutes
6-7125 40 minutes
8-9200 60 minutes
10-11350 90 minutes
12-13500 120 minutes
14-15800 180 minutes
16-191200 180 minutes
20-231500 180 minutes
24-271800 180 minutes
28-312250 180 minutes
32-352750 180 minutes
36-393500 180 minutes
40+4000 180 minutes

So I imagine in the early going, you want to get to 40 as quickly as possible without risking a failed mission that will set you back. Once you build up a reserve of successful missions above 40, then you can take more chances as long as failing all of your missions won't put you below 40. In the last faction event, I think I could get two shuttles to 90% or higher but probably not three. 

You would have to keep a running tally of your score throughout the event, but it may be worth it.

STARFLEET ID CARD

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 am

Faction mission kickstart - to get as many successful shuttle missions done as quickly as possible at the beginning of the event, try this.

https://forums.disruptorbeam.com/stt/viewthread/67527

In a nutshell:
1) Open 30 missions, ten per faction. These will all be 1 minute missions. It might help to note which missions are 3-crew or are good 4-crew ones for your crew. (If the event is only one faction, you can open 20 missions at a time.)
2) Complete ten missions. You can choose a faction and do all ten of theirs or keep track of which ones you do, but only do ten. Stop.
3) Open ten more missions - the ones you just did. These will be 90 minute missions. Do these, timeboost them if you want, just make sure your success rate is as high as you can get it.
4) After you're done with the second set of ten, do the remaining twenty that you opened at the beginning. These are one-minute missions even if the time display says otherwise and they should be easy to complete.
5) This should get you to 40 successful missions without running a single 3-hour mission.

[TG] Merits : 427

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Shuttle Pilot
Special Skill: Indomitable Spirit
Main Weapon: Scathing Remarks

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks for the kickstart guide - good advice!

Question, after you complete the first set of 10, do you collect and then open 1- more? Or do you leave them completed without collecting and open the new set of 10?

EDIT: Tried this. Did 30 (10 of each faction). Completed all 10 of the 00:01:00 Maquis missions. Collected. Started 10 new Maquis missions. Completed all 10 of the 01:30:00 Maquis missions. Collected. But now all the Hirogen and Klingon missions are 01:30:00.

EDIT EDIT: ... which complete in 00:01:00.

Again, nice guide DW!

STARFLEET ID CARD

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:07 pm

You're welcome! You should collect as you complete missions (and possibly re-use bonus crew on 1-minute missions over and over). Just make sure you can do all ten of the 90-minute missions before your 1-minute opened missions expire. Sounds like you did it right, hope it helps!  Smile

[TG] Merits : 427

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Shuttle Pilot
Special Skill: Indomitable Spirit
Main Weapon: Scathing Remarks

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Yep - everything worked out well. I collected all 40 missions.

Now sitting at 03:00:00 missions for 1500 points... poor crew is struggling. Smile

[TG] Merits : 872

STARFLEET ID CARD
Duty Post: Liaison Officer
Special Skill: Mind Meld
Main Weapon: Tommy Gun

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Thanks for the tips Doublewhite! I am trying this out now, I had done a variation of this earlier, but hadn't realized the extent of relationship between shuttle successes. Now I will run three only if the fourth will result in a fail to keep it over 40.

STARFLEET ID CARD

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 pm

You're welcome. I've been tracking my results pretty closely this event. I keep bouncing between 3500 and 4000 level running 4 shuttles on cherry picked missions.  Fwiw I don't think holding two shuttles back is ever worth it. You can make more at 3500 level with 4 shuttles than at 4000 with 2 shuttles. Holding one shuttle back may make sense if you want to stay at 4000...two success/one failure is still a net positive compared to two success/two failures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doublewhite

STARFLEET ID CARD

PostSubject: Re: GUIDE: Faction Events   Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:15 am

So I rigged up a crude faction event simulator in Excel (since I can’t write programs worth anything but am average at Excel). Just wanted to see how different shuttle success rates and strategies worked against a larger sample size. I’d love to see a real faction event simulator if anyone wants to take a shot at it. Some of the results were not surprising, and others were. There are some assumptions I made but I think it's worth sharing what I got out of it.

Assumptions
1) The success rates that DB calculates are accurate. No one I know thinks they are, but let’s pretend.
2) The player has four shuttles to work with and plays three or four for one round.
3) Simulations begin at a successful shuttle count (“the count”) of 40 because of the faction kickstart.
4) Success rates are constant across all event levels. I know this isn't true in a real event but didn't want to try to account for increased success rates at lower levels.  
5) Each simulation has twenty rounds, just a guess for a solid faction event run. I ran 5000 simulations for each scenario.
6) Simulator does not take into account time boosts, shuttle boosts, 2x boosts, or an endless supply of dilithium. It’s a spreadsheet, not a holodeck.

The first simulations I ran were at 70%, 65%, and 60% for all four shuttles, played repeatedly without changing. I wanted to see if the 67% that Koyote mentions above is the minimum you should be shooting for. Obviously, 70% is better than 65% and 60%, but going below 67% really sinks your average score and widens the standard deviation. In a real faction event, the lower levels should come with higher success rates to prop you back up, but getting above 67% does seem to be critical for staying in the 4000 level. It does pay to cherry-pick missions and boost for better success rates. NOTE: staying above 67% is a consideration for the average of all shuttles you’re sending at once, not necessarily for a single shuttle.

The second set of simulations I did were to see if spreading your success rates out in different ways was beneficial. Here’s how I spread them out, each with a 70% average.

1)70% success rate on 4 shuttles, played repeatedly
Median score: 241600 / St Dev: 19876 / High score: 288000 / Low score: 90040

2) 85%-75%-65%-55% success rates, played repeatedly
Median score: 241600 / St Dev: 18439 / High score: 288000 / Low score: 101600

3) 80%-80%-80%-40% success rates, played repeatedly
Median score: 240000 / St Dev: 17502 / High score: 278400 / Low score: 111800

These three strategies didn’t seem to have much different score results (#1 and #2 were almost identical). #3 seems to be a safer way to play than #1 or #2 without giving up much score-wise.

What about sending just three shuttles? 
4) 80% success rates on 3 shuttles, played repeatedly
Median score: 201600 / St Dev: 10879 / High score: 230400 / Low score: 114400

If you can get three shuttles to 80%, see if you can get a fourth at 50% or even 40%.

The last set of strategies I did kept track of the success count based on the table in my previous post (1 for a success, -1.5 for a failure). You drop to the 3500 level if your success count goes below 40.

5) Three shuttles at 80%, 4th shuttle at 40% when the count is 46+
Median score: 232800 / St Dev: 16894 / High score: 280000 / Low score: 124050

6) Three shuttles at 80%, 4th shuttle at 40% when the count is 44+
Median score: 235200 / St Dev: 16266 / High score: 276000 / Low score: 140350

7) Three shuttles at 80%, 4th shuttle at 40% when the count is 40+
Median score: 240000 / St Dev: 16842 / High score: 284800 / Low score: 134800

These do seem to save you from bad lower scores and keep you in the 4000’s more often. The variance and standard deviation is also noticeably lower. The average and high scores are just slightly less than strategies 1-3 above, but the lowest scores are noticeably higher than the non-count strategies. #7 seems to be the best-performing strategy of these. It takes more effort to keep track of your count, but it may be worth it to ensure a good event run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GUIDE: Faction Events
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
► TEMPORAL GUARDS :: [TG] HQ - STARBASE 207 :: Battle Bridge - Deck 10-
Jump to: